Safety for everyone
Your safety is what matters most to us, whether you’re an organiser, loved one, or a companion. We’ve created a thorough vetting process to give everyone the information they need to make the right decisions.
Bringing you peace of mind
All companions are carefully vetted
We work with the world’s leading AI-powered identity verification and authentication tool to give you the information you need to make the right decisions for your loved one.
Meet companions by video first
Arrange an introductory video call between yourself, your loved one and the companion, so everyone can get to know each other and set expectations for the visit.
Ratings and reviews
We believe in community and trust so we ask all organisers and companions to leave ratings and reviews to help others find the perfect match for their requirements on companiions.
DBS checks and references
We encourage all companions to submit their DBS certificate and references, when asked, to organisers. Although not mandatory it helps companions gain super companion status and adds an icon to their profile so they can charge a higher hourly rate for their time.
Handy answers to common questions
Frequently Asked Questions
How does companiions help build trust between companions and organisers?
We strive to give organisers and companions the information and tools they need to make informed decisions about who they interact with on the companiions app and website.
Within companiions, you’ll find a number of features that help build trust and nurture a transparent community marketplace. These include secure messaging and our reviews system, as well as our ID verification and public liability insurance.
Remember, communicating or paying outside companiions can put you, others, and our business at risk. If you’re reported to have communicated with or approached another companiions user outside of companiions, you’ll be removed from our platform. If you’re a companion, this will limit your ability to get work. If you’re an organiser, this will make it harder for you to arrange safe, trusted companionship for your loved ones.
If there’s an emergency situation, or if you feel threatened by an organiser, companion or end user, please contact the relevant emergency services immediately.
You can do your bit to keep our community safe by reporting any suspicious or inappropriate activity you come across, whether you spot something on someone’s profile, in a visit description, or within a message. If in doubt, contact us.
Read more about the tools we use to help verify people’s information here and discover safety tips for companions and organisers here
What are some trust and safety tips for companions and organisers before a visit?
Here are some tips to help you attend/receive visits with confidence.
Use companiions tools to find the perfect fit: companiions provides our community with the tools to make great decisions for themselves or their loved ones. Get exactly what you’re looking for by taking advantage of our many search filters, like price, distance, hobbies and skillset. Found a companion or organiser you like? Be sure to read their profile and description thoroughly – paying special attention to the job requirements, preferences and experience required.
Read the ratings and reviews: Look through feedback from past companions and organisers to help find the right fit for you. Companions and organisers can only leave a review after they’ve completed a visit so you know the feedback you’re reading is based on someone’s personal experience.
Connect on video conference (coming soon) If you’re still unsure about a companion or organiser use our handy video conferencing tool to have a chat with them ahead of your visit, get them to introduce you to the end user if you like.
Get your questions answered Our secure messaging tool is a safe and easy way for you to ask a potential companion or organiser any questions you have before you book. After booking, you can also message each other to coordinate arrival time, ask additional questions, and keep in touch throughout your visit
Always communicate and pay on companiions Keep yourself, your payment, and your personal information protected by staying on our secure platform throughout the entire process – from communication, to booking and payment. You should never be asked to transfer money, provide credit card information, or otherwise pay a companion directly. If you are, please report it to us immediately by contacting us
Know your customer Before you arrive, make sure you know all relevant emergency information, any medical history, what the visit requires, dietary requirements etc to ensure you have a good experience as a companion. As an organiser ensure all information about your loved one is kept in your account
Research local travel alerts and warnings Before you travel know your route so you can be prepared for any delays. Always remember than the organisers loved one could be depending on your visit so late arrivals could result in no lunch or concern for the organiser.
Terms and Policies In order to operate and continuously invest in the companiions platform, 25% of what an organiser pays will automatically be deducted from the companions payout as a platform fee. The fee will be deducted at the end of every visit.
There is no platform fee charged against any tips, taxis or charitable donations that an organiser chooses to pay their companion.
What background checks do companions go through?
Your safety is our highest priority, whether you’re an organiser, a loved one, or a companion.
To find out more about our thorough vetting process, please visit our Trust & Safety page.
What are companiions’s standards?
To help keep our community safe and trusted, we’ve published our companiions standards for all companions, organisers and end users to read.
Our aim is to help everyone within the companiions community better understand what you can expect from us, and what we expect from you.
Take a look at our standards here:
- Please respond to messages promptly and accurately, especially when you’re on a visit
- Don’t break commitments unless it’s absolutely necessary
- Keep communicating clearly, so if you have to break a commitment or be late, the other side knows in advance and understands
- Be honest about who you are and who you’re representing
- Make sure all the information on your profile, and within your requirements and in your messages, is true and correct
- If you’re an organiser, you must disclose any relevant information or requirements (e.g. if your loved one has a specific condition)
- If you’re a companion, you must be honest about your experience, ability and skills to make sure you’re able to complete the visit requests you receive and to ensure your price is fair
- You mustn’t engage in any threatening or abusive behaviour or any form of illegal activity
- If you perform any action that suggests an intent to harm anyone, companiions will report you to law enforcement
- If you’re an organiser, you must ensure the home the companion is going to visit is a safe environment – if there are any dangers present at the property (animals, weapons, etc.) you must declare these
- Always treat everyone with respect – we have a zero tolerance policy against discriminatory or hateful behaviour
- If you’re reported to have been bullying, harassing or treating anyone differently because of their race, religion, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities, your account will be frozen
- Always respect others’ property, belongings and information
- Never take property that isn’t yours, use someone’s property without their permission, copy others’ keys or identity documents, damage others’ property, or remain at visits after the visit is set to end
- Never threaten anyone with bad ratings or any other penalty or harm to get compensation or other benefits
- You should not make transactions outside of the companiions payments system, commit booking fraud or credit card fraud or launder money, attempt to drive traffic to other sites or market unrelated products, divert payments meant for others, abuse our referrals system, or make false claims against other members of the community
- You should not spy on other people – cameras are not allowed at visits unless they are previously disclosed and visible, and they are never permitted in private spaces (such as bathrooms or sleeping areas)
- You should not access others’ accounts without authorisation or violate others’ privacy, copyrights or trademarks
How do I dispute a charge for a visit?
If you think you’ve been charged incorrectly, please contact the companion first of all. In most cases, you’ll be able to resolve this together by reviewing the times of your visit as well as the companion’s rate.
If you can’t come to a resolution together, please contact us. We’ll take a look at the details and make a decision.
Become a companion
Start making money while making a difference
Become an organiser
Start organising companionship for your loved one